The warmer weather is just around the corner, and nothing says summer like a nice, juicy burger.
But for restaurant quality, you’re not headed to the grill – that’s right – the best and juiciest burgers are made right on your own stove! Did you know that most restaurants don’t even use a grill to make your favourite burgers? They use a griddle, and what is the equivalent to that in the home kitchen? Your stove and a skillet! It is THE best way to get the perfect cook and sear on your burger!
Faster than takeout and way more cost-effective, our Smash Burger will satisfy your every craving. And our special secret not-so-secret sauce will have you coming back for seconds!
The not so secret Secret Sauce is smooth and creamy and FULL of flavour. Our Fried Shallot adds a savory depth, with none of the crunch of raw onion. The Mustard Flavour gives just the right amount of kick to make the sauce pop, and the Garlic Flavour adds all the aromatics without any texture or prep time.
This is one summer dish we know you’ll enjoy all season long!
Smash Burger and Secret Sauce
- Large cast-iron skillet
- Heavy spatula for smashing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pickle chips/hamburger dills
- 2 1/2 tsp pickle chip juice
- 20-25 drops Hedessent Fried Shallot Flavour OR Fried Onion Flavour
- 12-15 drops Hedessent Mustard Flavour
- 10 drops Hedessent Garlic Flavour
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs medium ground beef (750g)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil divided
- 8 Cheese slices
- 4 burger buns
- 1 1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- Sliced tomatoes
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, pickle juice, Fried Shallot or Fried Onion flavour, Mustard flavour, Garlic flavour, and pepper.
- Heat a large cast-iron, blue steel, or stainless steel skillet over high heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Divide beef into eight even portions, then loosely shape each into 2-inch high cylinder. Generously sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp of the oil in the skillet and wipe with paper towel to evenly coat. Place one beef cylinder on one side of the plan and using heavy spatula, immediately press or smash beef to flatten. Repeat with another beef portion and cook without moving until bottom is evenly browned and caramelized. (approx. 1.5 minutes) Scrape underneath, then flip;
- Place cheese over meat and cook patty for 30 more seconds
- Transfer to plate and repeat with remaining beef, discarding oil in between batches.
- Spoon Secret Sauce over bottom of bun, top with lettuce, onion, double patties and cheese, more secret sauce, pickles and top of bun.