With summer finally here, backyard barbeques are in full swing! The drinks are flowing, the grill is sizzling, and everyone is enjoying time with friends and family in the great outdoors. Don’t go empty-handed to your next get-together or potluck with this side dish that is sure to please!.
Macaroni salad is a staple at any BBQ or picnic – some might even say no cookout is complete without it.
While mac salads can be made with either a mayo or mustard base, bring the best of both with our recipe that will have everyone coming back for seconds!
Our Mustard Flavour adds a little kick, equalizing the sweet tang of the mayo and giving everyone the tastes they know and love in their favourite macaroni salads. Garlic Flavour and Oregano Flavour work together to add an herbal, aromatic depth, imparting some savory notes into this light, summery sidekick.
Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Large Pot
- Mixing Bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup jar roasted red peppers diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar + 1 tbsp
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp parsley or dill chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Hedessent Garlic Flavour (approximately 60 drops)
- 1/4 tsp Hedessent Oregano OR Rosemary Flavour (approximately 40 drops)
- 8-10 drops Hedessent Mustard Flavour
- Cook macaroni following package directions, adding an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the noodles are tender. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain well, shaking off excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine red onion, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, and let marinate for 10 minutes. Add macaroni, mayonnaise, celery, and roasted red pepper and stir to combine. Add Garlic flavour, Oregano flavour, and Mustard flavour.
- Stir in parsley and refrigerate until chilled and mayonnaise mixture has absorbed into macaroni.
A great party food, make it up to 2 days ahead and store covered in the refrigerator. Stir the salad and taste before refreshing with additional vinegar, salt, pepper, or sugar. Pro Tip #2:
Cooking pasta until tender is the key to the most flavourful macaroni salad. Serve chilled and enjoy!