There are a lot of reasons why it’s not always possible to make a gravy using drippings.
Most often, it’s because of the method used to cook your meat, like with deep-fried or smoked turkeys, which don’t leave you any yummy juices to start a hearty gravy. But other times, it’s because of time constraints, when you still want all that savoury flavour without the hours of cooking required. Regardless of why you might find yourself in need of a dripping-less gravy, we’re here to solve your gravy woes!
It’s so quick and easy, and oh-so-flavourful, you’ll be trying to find even more ways to use this gravy! And the cool thing about this recipe? It doesn’t congeal as it cools! With the absence of the natural fats and oils that are released and concentrated in drippings, your gravy is smooth and rich, without that thick jelly consistency, which makes reheating a breeze! Slather it over your meat and potatoes and dig in!
Turkey Gravy Recipe
- Immersion Blender
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp Hedessent Roast Chicken Flavour (this really amps up the chicken flavour)
- 30-35 drops Hedessent Mushroom Porcino (eathy mushroom flavour dynamic to gravy)
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add ½ cup of the chicken broth, scraping up the bottom and browned bits; gradually stir in the remaining broth. Add in Hedessent Roasted Chicken and Mushroom Porcino flavours. Sprinkle in salt and pepper and cook, stirring until thickened and smooth, 4-5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, whirl until smooth (if desired).
Just pop your gravy in the microwave or put in a saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking until warmed. Add water to thin if needed. Pro Tip:
Make it up to 4 days ahead and refrigerate, or freeze for up to 2 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
See How It’s Done
Sign Up and Save
Receive exclusive savings, weekly recipes, cooking tips, and more when you join our mail list