Indulge in a nostalgic blend of ice cream and soda with this Black Cherry Cola Float! The Black Cherry and Cola combination is reminiscent of Dr. Pepper and is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
But don’t stop there! This easy ice milk recipe is deliciously fun and offers endless flavour combinations. With the six classic flavours in our Soda Booster Kit, you can easily change up this recipe and create the float of your dreams. And don’t forget the whipped cream on top for an added fluffy sweetness that no float should be without!
Black Cherry Cola Float Recipe
- 8 x 4 x 3 metal loaf pan
- 4 cups 3% milk
- 2 cups soda water
- 1 cup frozen dark cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar - see notes below for sugar level options
- 1/2 tsp Hedessent Black Cherry Flavouring - see notes below for flavouring alternatives
- 6 drops Hedessent Cola or Cream Soda Flavouring
- canned whipped cream
- cocktail cherry
- In a medium bowl, stir milk, sugar, and Black Cherry flavouring together until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour frozen cherries into an 8x4x3-inch metal loaf pan. Pour milk mixture over cherries and place into the freezer. Stir after 30 minutes to break up the layer of icy milk.
- Continue to stir every hour, keeping the mixture smooth. Once the ice milk is almost fully frozen, leave to freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- When your ice cream is ready, add 6 drops Cola flavouring to plain soda water and stir.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop cherry ice milk into serving glasses. Top with flavoured soda, whipped cream, and garnish with a cocktail cherry. Enjoy!
Ice Cream Maker Method (Optional)
- Prepare your ice maker according to the instruction’s manual. Freeze the milk and sugar mixture for 2 hours in a freezer container.
- Pour the milk mixture into the ice cream maker container and run it for 25 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Pour thickened mixture into a freezer container with fruit and freeze for 6 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally until fully frozen before serving.
The amount of sugar used in this recipe is a base. You can use more or less, depending on your sweet tooth or dietary restrictions. Pro Tip #2
For a stronger Black Cherry flavour, add ½ tsp more to the milk. Any more than this might overpower the cola flavour. Pro Tip #3
Experiment with making orange-flavoured ice cream, and turn your soda into an Orange Cream Soda with Hedessent Cream Soda and Orange flavours, both in the Soda Booster Kit.
Meet Heather Shaw
With a career bridging two decades as a food stylist and recipe developer, Heather Shaw combines her passion for cooking, baking, aesthetics, and media arts in everything she does. Her skills range from creating enticing recipes to artfully styling food and drinks for photography, film, and more.
Heather is very active in her collaborations with artists, colleagues, and other industry professionals. Her adaptability and food knowledge come through in all she creates, and we are thrilled to share her work with you. Her ability to come up with fun versatile recipes is key to helping our customers understand how they can easily elevate their everyday dishes with our line of food flavours. We know that you will enjoy the dishes Heather creates as much as we enjoy sharing them with you!
Follow along with Heather’s creations on Instagram @FoodbyHeather