Anytime is a good time for Strawberry Shortcake.
Even when strawberries aren’t in season, you can enjoy the deliciousness that is Strawberry Shortcake. With the use of our Strawberry Flavouring you can brighten your berries with just a few drops.
Looking to explore the world of flavour through baked treats? This shortcake recipe is a great one for just that! From the sponge, to the whipped cream, even the berries, you can really get creative and take this classic dessert to the next level. In the recipe below we gave you flavouring recommendations and amounts so you have a starting point. Feel free to switch out any of the flavours with your personal faves.
Strawberry Shortcake recipe
- 8" springform pan
- 4 mixing bowls
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs separated - keep both egg whites and yolks in separate bowls
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Hedessent Vanilla Bourbon Flavouring
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5-8 drops Hedessent Strawberry Flavouring recommended for strawberries that are not in season
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream - 35% cream
- 1 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp Hedessent Strawberry Swirl Flavouring or Vanilla Bourbon Flavouring - see below for other flavour options.
- Strawberries sliced or cut in wedges for garnish
Making Your Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Butter an 8-inch springform pan and line the bottom only with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In a third bowl, beat the remaining sugar, butter, egg yolks, and Vanilla Bourbon flavour with mixer at low speed. Slowly adding in dry ingredients and milk alternating between the two.
- Stir a quarter of the meringue into the batter to lighten it. With a spatula, gently fold in the remaining meringue. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for approx. 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre come out clean. Unmould immediately and let cool on a wire rack (approximately 25mins)
- In a clean bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, and flavouring. Set aside. If strawberries aren’t overly ripe, marinating them in our strawberry flavour will brighten them. Alternatively you can also infuse an orange flavour, or forest fruit flavour. Have fun with it.
- In a bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and Strawberry Swirl flavouring with mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
Putting it all together
- Cut the cake in half horizontally to make two slices.
- Spread 1 cup of the whipped cream on the cut side of each slice. Scatter the strawberries on the whipped cream of a slice of cake. Cover with the other slice of cake, whipped cream side down
- Garnish the top of the cake with the remaining whipped cream and fresh cut strawberries.
You can have a lot of fun with this recipe. The Vanilla Bourbon flavour is an easy elevation on the classic flavour of Strawberry Shortcake, or Strawberry Swirl which is a beautiful candied blend of Strawberry and Vanilla notes. Other flavours that would be great in this recipe in place of the Vanilla Bourbon:
- Orange with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Coffee Espresso and Vanilla Cookie
- Crispy Doughnut and Caramel