Welcome to the The Art Of Flavour, with host and Recipe Developer, Soo Kim.
In this episode Soo shares 4 simply delicious recipes that are going to help open your mind to the possibilities of working with food flavouring. Take your everyday to gourmet with our flavours.
Super Green Kiwi Smoothie
- 1 cup water
- 1 bunch baby romain chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach or 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 1/2 green apple unpeeled and chopped
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 lemon peeled
- 10 natural almonds or 1tbsp almond butter
- 2 Medjool dates pitted
- 1 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 12-15 drops Hedessent Kiwi Can also try Apple Flavour in place of Kiwi
- In a blender, purée together water, romaine, spinach, celery, apple, banana, lemon, almonds, dates, ginger, and flaxseed until smooth. Stir in Kiwi flavour. Enjoy!
Creamy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Small mixing bowl
- 350 g extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (oat or almond)
- 1 tsp nutritional flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 20 drops Hedessent Cooked Egg Yolk
- 15 drops Hedessent Butter Flavour (10 drops when cooking about 5 to finish it)
- Pinch paprika
- Press tofu dry between doubled kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Using hands, crumble in tofu and salt and cook, stirring until dry, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir non-dairy milk, nutritional flakes, turmeric, paprika, 20 drops of Cooked Egg Yolk, and 10 drops of Butter flavours until combined
- Pour mixture over tofu and remove from heat; stir until creamy and tofu is evenly coated. Taste and season with more salt if desired. Add 5 more drops of butter to finish recipe. Make sure tofu is cooked/dry before pouring mixture over.
Serve with a Spicy Ketchup. To easily elevate this everyday ingredient all you need is 3 tbsp of ketchup mixed with 4-5 drops of Hedessent Chili Hot Flavour.
Grilled Cheese Truffle
- Large Skillet Cast-iron skillet recommended for best sear
- Coarse grater i.e box grater
- 2 slices thick-cut bread
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 10 drops Hedessent Black Truffle Flavour
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 10-15 drops Hedessent Pesto Flavour
- 20 drops Hedessent Mushroom Porcino Flavour
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 4-5 drops Hedessent Chili Hot Flavour
- In small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and Black Truffle flavour; spread on both sides of thick-cut bread slices.2 slices thick-cut bread, 10 drops Hedessent Black Truffle Flavour, 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or heavy skillet over medium heat; cook bread slices, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread mozzarella over one slice and squeeze Pesto flavour and Mushroom Porcino flavour all over. Sandwich with remaining bread and flip over the sandwich. Cook until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 10-15 drops Hedessent Pesto Flavour, 20 drops Hedessent Mushroom Porcino Flavour
- Spicy Ketchup: In small bowl, stir the ketchup and Chili Hot flavour.3 tbsp ketchup, 4-5 drops Hedessent Chili Hot Flavour
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Small mixing bowl
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 20 drops Hedessent Coconut Flavour
- 15 drops Hedessent Almond Flavour
- 15 drops Hedessent Tahitian Bean Flavour
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 15 drops Hedessent Almond Flavour
- Preheat oven to 325°F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat egg white on medium speed until medium peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in the coconut, followed by condensed milk, salt, Coconut, Mango, and Tahitian Bean Flavours, just until combined.
- Drop 2 tbsp of mixture 1-inch apart onto the prepared pan. Using fingers, gently shape into peaked mounds. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 16 minutes. Let cool completely on pan, about 15 minutes.
- Chocolate Coating: Place chocolate in a bowl set over a small saucepan with 1-inch simmering (not boiling) water and melt, stirring every so often. Remove bowl from heat and stir in coconut oil.
- Dip macaroons in chocolate to coat base and edges; return to parchment. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.
Have a recipe you want to share with us? Drop it in the comments below!
About Soo Kim
Soo was raised in a traditional Korean household, on homemade kimchi and by parents who valued real food and honest ingredients. Some of her earliest memories revolve around time spent with her mother cooking, helping to stock their family store with authentic Korean fare in an area that had no similar options, and thus began Soo’s love affair with food.
She began her culinary journey at George Brown Culinary School, in Toronto, Canada, leading to a whirlwind circus work experience in Vancouver, BC, Dublin, Ireland, London, England, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Russia, San Francisco, and finally back to Toronto. She transitioned to the editorial magazine world of test kitchens, running the food sections of Chatelaine and Canadian Living. She cut her professional teeth at Loblaws test kitchen, Canada’s most extensive grocery chain, learning about product development.
Before landing at Hedessent, Soo was a freelance recipe developer, writer, and stylist, contributing to Loblaws, Sobeys, Walmart, CBC, Food & Drink, and Clean Eating, among other leading brands and publications. When she’s not busy testing flavours and building new recipes for our customers to enjoy, she enjoys her time in Toronto with her husband and son, where they routinely obsess over great fried rice and making the perfect French fries.